mercoledì 4 agosto 2021

An interview with Chez Kane

An Italian translation is available here.

British rock singer Chez Kane published her debut solo album this year produced by Italian label Frontiers Records. To talk about her 80s inspired record, Chez accepted our proposal for an interview that we are today offering our readers.

We would like to thank Chez Kane for this interview.





125esima Strada: Hello Chez and first of all thanks for your time. Let's start from your debut album, where does your love for 80s inspired music come from?

Chez Kane:
Hey, no problem and thank you also! My love for 80s inspired music all began when I was around thirteen years old. I heard Def Leppard’s Pour Some Sugar On Me playing on the radio and instantly fell in love! My parents then bought me their album and you could say the rest is history. Haha.


125esima Strada: How were these songs born? What's the story behind them?

Chez Kane: The songs on my debut album were all written by the lovely Danny Rexon, frontman of the band Crazy Lixx. He is an incredible song writer and I feel so fortunate to have been able to work with such a talented guy to launch my solo career. I am so in love with this style of music and he has done such a great job in bringing that late 80s feel in to my album but with a fresh approach.


125esima Strada: I like Defender of The Heart because it's more melodic than the other songs and because the text is also quite peculiar. What is the story of this song?

Chez Kane: I can’t really answer what the story is behind the songs on the album as I am not the writer, we would need to ask Danny, but I totally agree with what you have said in the question, it is the more melodic song of the album and a very powerful song with great sentiment.


125esima Strada: Who are your favorites of the 80s scene that inspired you most?

Chez Kane: It started with Def Leppard, then I discovered Pat Benatar and Robin Beck and I always remember being blown away and thinking that they were so awesome, they looked so cool and I was instantly inspired!


125esima Strada: Let's talk about your YouTube channel also. You have a lot of covers, most of which are power ballads such as Alone by Heart or Forever by Kiss; which one is your favorite of all those songs and why?

Chez Kane: That is a tough question because I started my YouTube channel for the love of singing songs that I love to sing so I genuinely love every song that I have covered for my channel.
Just off the top of my head… Edge of a Broken Heart by Vixen was a really fun song to sing but like I said, I love all of them. Hehe!


125esima Strada: What I think is surprising is that you have a lot of ballads on your channel, but none on your solo album. How come? Isn't this a weird choice, especially for an AOR album?

Chez Kane: I don’t think it’s a weird choice, we did discuss whether the album needed a ballad but Danny and I both agreed that it wasn’t missing when we played the album through as Defender of the Heart was strongly standing alone as the closest to a ballad.

I’m sure a ballad will be on its way at some point in the near future, this is just the beginning!


125esima Strada: You are also one of the front-women of a band called Kane'd, in which the two other singers are your two sisters. The sound of Kane'd is very different from your solo recordings, much more hard rock oriented. Are these the two sides of your musical personality?

Chez Kane: Oh yes, 100%. I love lots of different styles of rock music. It all started with 80s inspired rock and I will always have a major soft spot for it, but I have also gone on to love lots of genres of rock and that definitely shows in the writing of the Kane’d songs.


125esima Strada: What do you plan for your future? More solo albums? More Kane'd? More of both?
I would like more of both and I’m sure there will be!

Chez Kane: I am currently very busy putting the show together for the upcoming solo gigs and I have a few things going on behind the scenes that I can’t discuss right now but for anyone reading this, please stay connected with me on my social media platforms for any future updates.


125esima Strada: Many thanks for your time again, it's been a privilege talking to you.

Chez Kane: Thank you for the chat, it’s been a pleasure!

Nessun commento: